Thursday, April 30, 2015

Z is for Zanzibar

Zanzibar is a word that almost did not come to me. I was aimlessly meandering through the aisles of my brain trying to freely associate with anything meaningful that started with a "Z". I was having no luck. Then a tune from Jimmy Buffett somehow made its presence known in my head. "Zanzibar" is in the lyrics of the song and there you have it, the provenance of my final word in this 26 day challenge.


Before I go any further, the image is taken from the stylehiclub.com website. This is a fascinating site. It looks like a young couple and their kid are documenting their travels on this site. It's really quite well done. Check it out for yourself, it's worth a few minutes.
It looks to me like this little island archipelago may have been one of those places where ancient middle east (aka Persia) met up with ancient Africa (aka Swahili coastal towns). In more modern times, Zanzibar was a possession of Portugal for almost two hundred years. As usual, Wikipedia does a bangup job collecting facts and describing the myriad aspects of Zanzibar, both past and present. It's exotic, in my mind fitting in somewhere in the fringes with Jimmy Buffett's song playing in the background. I'm sure reality is different.

This ends a 26 day A-Z challenge. One of the more interesting word challenges I've ever done.

1 comment:

  1. Hello there.
    There are several others who have posted "Zanzibar" for letter z. I think it sounds so romantically exotic!
    Congratulations on surviving the A-Z Challenge! I didn't get to visit your blog during the crazy month of April so I'm popping over today from the Road Trip.

    Entrepreneurial Goddess

    ReplyDelete