Monday, April 6, 2015

E is for Elkhorn

This is a long sequence, one of the longer rapids that I remember on the Main. Consulting the old guide books was a necessity though, as I could not remember where it was on the river. Mile 263 for those inquiring minds, according to Carrey and Conley. I remember a few snips of actually sitting the bench seat and pulling the oars. I also remember something crawling under my pfd and stinging me as I was rowing this rapid. Trivially speaking, I'm allergic to wasps but not bees. Of course, it is significant to me as I am the one that swells up and stays swelled up for way longer than I expect. Venom from tiny bodies provide an awesome lesson about power in small things.

Elkhorn has a big swooping curve in it as I recall. Maybe it's different now. It was one more noteworthy event occurring once on every trip I took down that wonderful river. The same and yet different every single time I ran it.

No comments:

Post a Comment