Wednesday, April 8, 2015

F is for first person - an active dynamic on the ground narration style

Through the narrator's eyes for some reason appeals to me. So that's the way I've been taking New Grass Growing. River and Ranch is also in first person. I like the notion of seeing the country through the eyes of Cale and Dana. Do I need a method (e.g. third person) that lets me write stuff that is beyond what my first person character narrator can see? There are a few places where my characters are all engaged in something and I want to point out other characters. In those rare cases I do jump to third person to call some attention to those additional characters. It's awkward, but I feel strongly for the scene in which I have placed those minor characters as they watch events unfold around the main characters. Other than those rare cases focused on minor characters in one scene, all my writing is in first person.

When I was a kid, we would sit around our tiny little TV and watch The Walton's. I remember the voice of Earl Hamner talking at some point usually the end I think and I remember Johnboy (sp?) writing in his diary as the TV looks through the window from the dark night and then it zooms back out, the music plays and that's the end of the episode. I think the story is told from Johnboy's point of view.

Maybe that is the root cause of my writing in first person. Or maybe Robert Crais is the source of my preference. Elvis Cole is one of my favorite characters ever. Part of my affection for this character comes, I think, from the author's writing style.

Books are great. Reading is great. Writing is pretty fine too. For me, a first person POV is turning out peachy. I hope you like it as well!

1 comment:

  1. It's probably been over 20 years since I've written anything in first-person, other than things like letters, op-eds, and journal entries within a book. While I live and breathe third-person omniscient, I really enjoy first-person interludes and writing as just one person for a few pages.

    ReplyDelete